The First, and most IMPORTANT Rule….you must have FUN!
- Each Scout, Akela, or sibling can register only one car.
- All cars must be built for the current Pinewood Derby Racing Season. NO REPEATS or REPAINTS
- Each car must pass a final technical inspection before it may compete.
- After the final inspection, each car will be impounded.
Car Design & Inspection:
- Weight: No more than 5.0 ounces, as determined by the official race scale accurate to 1/10 oz.
- Size: No longer than 7 (seven) inches, no wider than 2-3/4 (2.75) inches, no taller
- than 4 inches, no less than 3/8 inch clearance under the car.
- Wheels and axles: Nail axles from the kit are the only axles acceptable. Wheels used MUST have the BSA symbol on the side. Axles must be firmly affixed to the wood of the car body and must be placed in the original axle grooves. NO washers, inserts, sleeves or bearings are
- allowed. Wheel surfaces may be sanded slightly to remove plastic burrs and mold marks.
- Wheels may NOT be balanced with weights.
- Body: The main body structure must be made of wood. Cars that were purchased as already completed may not be used. If the builder lacks the resources to cut out a car from a stock block of wood, attendance at a workshop is strongly encouraged.
- Weights and Attachments: Weight may be added to the car but must be firmly attached by
- permanent glue, nails or screws.
- Lubricants: Dry lubricants are the only lubricants permitted. These include Graphite and
- Powdered Teflon. The use of liquid and spray lubricants such as WD-40, sewing
- machine oil and others is expressly prohibited.
- No loose materials of any kind are permitted on the car.
- No springs or rubber shocks are permitted on the car.
- Failure to Pass Inspection: The Inspection Committee shall disqualify cars that do not meet the rules described herein. If a car does not pass inspection, the owner will be informed of the reason his car did not pass. Cars that fail the inspection may be modified and re-inspected on Saturday morning before the first race.
Conduct of the Races:
- THE DECISION OF THE TRACKMASTER IS FINAL!
- The Trackmaster and Pit Crew will stage and run all races and make any decisions necessary during the running of the races. ALL cars must be checked in during the OFFICIAL weigh in. NO late check-in’s will be accepted without prior approval from the Trackmaster. Once a car is checked-in the racer cannot make modifications.
- All Scouts will compete within their own classification, i.e. Wolves v. Wolves.
- The First and Second place finishers in each den will advance to the Finals race against all other den winners.
- All cars will compete in a minimum of 3 races.
- Each car will be labeled and numbered. T – Tiger, W – Wolf, B – Bear, W1 – Webelos I, W2 – Webelos II, S – Sibling, A – Akela. Each car will be numbered.
- Competition will consist of a series of head-to-head heats as randomly determined by the racing software.
- If, during a race heat, a car leaves its lane but proceeds down the track in a manner that does not interfere with its opponent, then the race will be called normally. If the car leaves its lane and interferes with another car, the race will be re-staged and re-run. If the same car again leaves its lane and interferes with another car, that car will be judged in last place.
- Car Leaves Track: The car is considered last place for that single race.
- Car Repair (Without Fault): If, during the race, a wheel falls off or the car becomes otherwise damaged, then the SCOUT may, to the best of his ability perform repairs with the assistance of his adult partner or Pit Crewmember.
- Car Repair (With Fault): If a car is damaged due to track fault, or damage caused by another car or person, then the Trackmaster, at his sole discretion, may allow additional repair assistance to the Cub.
- No Finishers: If, during a race heat, no car reached the finish line on the track, the car which went the farthest in its lane shall be declared as the heat winner.
- First Place Trophies will be awarded in each classification.
- A Grand Champion Trophy will be awarded to the all around winner.
- Special Awards will be given in the following categories:
- Most Colorful Car
- Most Patriotic Car
- “Cubbiest” Car
- “Sparkliest” Car
- Best Use of Stickers on a Car
- Funniest Car
- Best Workmanship
- Most Imaginative Car
- Fastest Looking Car
- Best Sports Team Car